Que Sera, Sera.


  Like any Tuesday, I was off to a good start. A new day. I had worked later than usual the night before to make a deadline at the office. It paid off. I was praised on the job via email with a veritable who’s who cc’ed on the thread. Felt good, got to take off early and hit up a nearby historic landmark, Vichy Hot Springs in Ukiah, CA. You can visit the grounds of the private property with a purchase of a day pass or 2 hours for a fee. So much worry and tension we put on ourselves each day, felt good to transmute, dissolve, and wash them all away with warm waters deep from within the Earth and carried with it new properties transported with billions of Champagne like bubbles and penetrating minerals. An hour and thirty minutes into my soak I decide I’d like to lay out for a bit and read as our divine planet shifts and wobbles slowly enough to take notice of the ever slanting shadows over short bare grass as the daylight sparkles onto the yellowing leaves above the ghostly moving waters of the pool like you see in painted reflections of moonlight. 

   There’s something magical about five o’clock in the eve after Autumnal Equinox in the Western Hemisphere. With just enough sun to highlight a new window, a prelude before witnessing the daily transformation from day to night. I gather my things to head over to a nice patch of sunlit grass. I had forgotten my sandals and took pleasure in walking barefoot on stone. I pivoted myself with my right hip as I thought, “maybe a quick dip in the hot tub?” “Nope”, I decided, but before that thought had materialized into my voluntary reaction an involuntary one ensued. The feeling was memorizing, it was as if I was savoring each instant as time seems to change when overcoming a threshold. Pain, physical, visceral pain. The shift in pressure felt reversed, gravity didn’t feel like it belonged. I lifted my right foot inwards to see what I had just stepped upon, as I did a notion of black and yellow flew off my toe and toward my face. My toe was in so much pain I didn’t rightly care of the others buzzing about, my main concern was seeing what was causing this feeling. I pulled the whole barbed yellow jacket stinger clean out like sword in the stone and flung it away, “FUCK! THAT FUCKING HURT!” was all I could say. I did all the mental tricks to remain calm and decided that quick dip in the hot tub would be quite fine. I meditated real hard and attempted to let go of resisting the pain and then laughed my ass off cause why not?! I was still having a damn good day. I dried myself off and hobbled my way to the front desk to check out and pay for my two hour stay.
  Like most Tuesdays, I learned more stuff about myself, like how rad I am for having hydrogen peroxide nearby and how pain can at times come and transform. Each day a cycle. A continuation of the next living before, what will be, will be. And yes, that’s the song that’s been stuck in my head since I got stung that inspired this whole post. Oh, Doris Day, Happy Tuesday!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *